- Founded in 1962, America's Blood Centers is North America's
largest network of non-profit, community blood centers.
Seventy-seven blood centers operate more than 600 collection
sites in 45 U.S. states and Canada, providing half of the
United States, and all of Canada's volunteer donor blood
- These centers serve more than 180 million people and provide
blood products and services to more than 4,200 hospitals
and health care facilities across North America. ABC's U.S.
members are licensed and regulated by the U.S. Food &
Drug Administration. Canadian members are regulated by Health
ABC'S Blood Banking Philosophy
- ABC members subscribe to a community-based blood
banking philosophy. That means community donors
know that the blood they give stays in that community
first to help patients that are family members, friends
and neighbors. Any excess supply is shared with other communities
who need it most.
ABC Member Collections
- ABC members collected more than 8 million units of whole
blood in 2004 - half of the U.S. blood supply and all of
Canada's volunteer donor blood supply.
- ABC members yearly provide more than 10 million blood
components (including red blood cells, platelets and plasma)
to hospital customers.
- ABC members also provide hospitals and their patients
with a majority of the nation's tissue, bone marrow, stem
cell and transfusion services.
- Corporate blood drives are ABC members' largest source
of blood donations, followed by schools, civic groups and
the faith community.
- ABC members receive the majority of blood-related NIH
- An ABC member (New York Blood Center) invented hepatitis
B vaccine and solvent-detergent plasma sterilization.
- An ABC member (BloodSource) received the first FDA accreditation
for Fresh Frozen Plasma Donor Retested (FFP-DR).
- Fifteen members manage cord
blood banks for transplantation. New York Blood Center,
an ABC member, operates the largest cord blood bank in America.
ABC Contact Information
- President: Merlyn H. Sayers, MBBCh, PhD
- Vice President: Donald Doddridge
- Chief Executive Officer: Jim MacPherson
- Matt Granato: Director, National Programs & Marketing
Tel: (202) 654-2911;
E-mail: [email protected]
Foundation for America's Blood Centers
The Foundation for America's Blood Centers
is an independent 501 (c) (3) public education organization
dedicated to help ensure a safe and adequate blood supply
for all Americans. It provides funding for educational programs
that promote and raise awareness of the need for volunteer
blood donation for members of America's Blood Centers'
national network of community blood centers. The Foundation
is committed to increasing public awareness about the need
for blood donation to help ensure that all Americans have
access to a safe and adequate blood supply. The creation of
Blood, Your Blood® multimedia project
underscores this commitment.
Leslie Hill, Director, The Foundation for America's Blood
E-mail: [email protected]