- Founded in 1962, America's Blood Centers is North America's
network of non-profit, community blood centers.
Seventy-five blood centers operate more than 600 donor centers that provide nearly half of the United States’ volunteer donor blood supply and all of Quebec, Canada’s blood supply.
- Our members help save the lives of nearly 3 million patients at more than 3,500 hospitals and healthcare facilities across North America, while providing the highest level of blood safety through licensure by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Health Canada.
ABC'S Blood Banking Philosophy
- ABC members subscribe to a community-based blood
banking philosophy. That means community donors
know that the blood they give stays in that community
first to help patients that are family members, friends
and neighbors. Any excess supply is shared with other communities
who need it most.
ABC Member Collections
- ABC members collected more than 8 million units of whole
blood in 2004 - half of the U.S. blood supply and all of
Canada's volunteer donor blood supply.
- ABC members yearly provide more than 10 million blood
components (including red blood cells, platelets and plasma)
to hospital customers.
- ABC members also provide hospitals and their patients
with a majority of the nation's tissue, bone marrow, stem
cell and transfusion services.
- Corporate blood drives are ABC members' largest source
of blood donations, followed by schools, civic groups and
the faith community.
- ABC members receive the majority of blood-related NIH
- An ABC member (New York Blood Center) invented hepatitis
B vaccine and solvent-detergent plasma sterilization.
- An ABC member (BloodSource) received the first FDA accreditation
for Fresh Frozen Plasma Donor Retested (FFP-DR).
- Fifteen members manage cord
blood banks for transplantation. New York Blood Center,
an ABC member, operates the largest cord blood bank in America.
ABC Contact Information
President: Dan A. Waxman, MD
David Green, MSA
- Chief Executive Officer: Jim MacPherson
Coordinator, Member Services,
We welcome your questions about the My Blood, Your Blood program and its applicability in the classroom or home school environment. We regret we cannot answer questions about individual blood test results, parent/child blood type compatibility or blood disorders. Please contact your doctor or local hospital for that information.
Foundation for America's Blood Centers
is an independent 501 (c) (3) public education organization
dedicated to help ensure a safe and adequate blood supply
for all Americans. It provides funding for educational programs
that promote and raise awareness of the need for volunteer
blood donation for members of America's Blood Centers'
national network of community blood centers. The Foundation
is committed to increasing public awareness about the need
for blood donation to help ensure that all Americans have
access to a safe and adequate blood supply. The creation of
Blood, Your Blood multimedia project
underscores this commitment.
Matt J. Granato, LLM, MBA
Director, Marketing & Member Services